Recent talk - The conversation of UI: Unpacking voice and tone for interfaces
with Andy Welfle | Confab Central | May 21-23, 2018 | Minneapolis, Minnesota
Interface components like buttons, menus, errors, and confirmation messages are built with words, and it’s remarkable how much a consistent voice and tone matter. Are you using an efficient, informative voice, or do you sound more like a quirky, lovable goofball? The appropriate voice builds trust, increases retention, humanizes interactions, and ultimately drives conversions and other business goals.
Drawing on their experience writing and designing for digital products, Andy and Michael will help you develop frameworks to explore and document how voice and tone affect the different aspects of your product, brand, website, or service.
Recent Talk - BEYOND DELIVERABLES: BRINGING CONTENT STRATEGY TO LIFE
Content Strategy Forum | October 5-7, 2016 | Melbourne, Australia
You never want the contribution you make to your company or client to be limited to a stack of deliverables. It feels good to make a plan at the beginning of a project, but no matter how beautiful, detailed, or thought-out your deliverables are, if they don’t shape the website, app, or product you’re building, they’re worth very little.
Whether you call yourself a content strategist or not, strategy is a necessity. But creating a strategy isn’t enough. Putting it into practice has to be a big part of your skill set. Michael will draw on past experiences and case studies to explain how you can take your content strategy from a high-level plan to a practical resource your company or client relies on.
Bringing your content strategy to life can be a big, frustrating, and messy task, but when it helps people in real, practical ways, it’s all worth it.
Slides - Take My Money
This talk about using visual tools to communicate content strategy was originally presented at Confab Central 2014. Later I worked with Scott Kubie to turn it into a workshop.
Slides - The Visual Content Strategist
I gave this talk at Confab Central 2015. If we want our customers to give us their money, they have to trust us first.
- The Conversation of UI: Unpacking Voice and Tone for Interfaces | Half-day workshop with Andy Welfle | Confab Central 2018, Minneapolis, Minnesota
- The Conversation of UI: Unpacking Voice and Tone for Interfaces | Half-day workshop with Andy Welfle | Confab Intensive 2017, Denver, Colorado
- Beyond Deliverables: Bringing Content Strategy to Life | 35-minute talk | CS Forum 2016, Melbourne, Australia
- What's Your Software Saying? Designing Interfaces with Language | Half-day workshop with Andy Welfle | Confab Intensive 2016, Seattle, Washington
- Visual Tools for Content Planning and Production | Half-day workshop with Scott Kubie | Confab Intensive 2016, Seattle, Washington
- Designing With Words: Content Strategy in the Design Process | 30-minute talk with Lauren Lucchese | The Chicago Content Strategists meetup, Chicago, Illinois
- Practical Content Strategy | Half-day workshop with Scott Kubie | IA Summit 2016, Atlanta, Georgia
- Use Tactical Goal-setting to Design the Right Thing | 40-minute hands-on session | Midwest UX 2015, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- Visual Tools for Content Planning and Production | Half-day workshop with Scott Kubie | Confab Intensive 2015, Portland, Oregon
- Take My Money: Building Trust During Transactions | 50-minute talk | Confab Central 2015, Minneapolis, Minnesota
- Designing Delightful Transactions | 20-minute talk | World IA Day 2015, Des Moines, Iowa
- Visual Tools for Content Planning and Production | Half-day workshop with Scott Kubie | MinneWebCon 2015, Minneapolis, Minnesota
- The Visual Content Strategist | 30-minute talk | The Chicago Content Strategists meetup, Chicago, Illinois
- Visual Tools for Content Planning and Production | Full-day workshop with Scott Kubie | Midwest UX 2014, Indianapolis, Indiana
- The Visual Content Strategist | 5-minute lightning talk | Confab Central 2014, Minneapolis, Minnesota